Tuesday, October 11, 2016

The War that Saved My Life





20912424

The War that Saved My Life
By Kimberly Brubaker Bradley


9 year old Ada has never left her one room apartment.  Her abusive mother is too humiliated by Ada's twisted foot to let her go outside. So when Ada's little brother Jamie is shipped out of London to escape the war, Ada sneaks out to join him.

So the adventure begins for Ada, her brother Jamie and Susan Smith the woman who is forced to take the two kids in.  Ada, who was born with a club foot, has been physically and mentally abused by her mother.  She has taught herself how to walk, and later will teach herself  how to ride a pony.

Set during World War 2, I was not excited to read this book, so many people recommended it I decided to give it a try.  I was not disappointed.  The characters are complex and well drawn in this story, love and hate abounds in all three of the main characters.  Each has their own set of problems or disabilities that they are trying to overcome.  This is a beautiful told story that I missed when it was over!






No comments:

Post a Comment