Tuesday, November 10, 2020

My Family and Other Animals


My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell

In the mid 1930's, Louisa Durrell, a widow living in England, sells her home and moves with her four children to the Greek island of Corfu. In his memoir, youngest son Gerald, recounts the family's often hilarious escapades during their five year adventure on Corfu.  For Gerald, who grew up to become a world famous naturalist, it was an idyllic time of collecting specimens, studying the local fauna, amassing an impressive collection of pet creatures, and laying the foundation for his life's work.

For me, this book was a pure delight. Eccentric would be an accurate term for every single member of the Durrell family and their antics never cease to entertain. Reading this book made me long for a wonderful adventure myself, the descriptions of daily island life were so vivid and inviting. My family and Other Animals is just a wonderful memoir and fascinating look into another time, place, and a truly remarkable family.

The book is available as an ebook as a part of The Corfu Trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment