Tuesday, November 24, 2015


"The Lost Boy" by Greg Ruth is an easily accessible graphic novel with a pretty interesting, Alice in Wonderland-type set up.  The artwork is really great, easily my favorite part of the book.  I felt like the book isn't as scary as it tries to be, and the pace is so fast that the tension and drama didn't build as effectively as it should have.  Although it's a shorter tale, it has some violence and language, which puts this book into YA territory.  The story itself is very much a "part one" story: only the beginning of a much deeper story is told, which left me feeling unfulfilled.  However, the art was lifelike and spooky at times, and that kept me going.  The setting reminds me strongly of the Spiderwick Chronicles.  There are several flashbacks, told via an old tape recorder, and those were great.  I wish there were more of them!  Overall:  Good art, good promise, quick read, but not a great ending.  Fans of "Spiderwick" will probably really like this book, and it's also a good graphic novel for people who don't want Manga. I give it 3 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment