Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Code Name Verity


Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

This book was a little slow in the beginning and the only reason I kept reading it was because it is a Beehive Book Nominee for 2014 and I figured there had to be something to it. The main character rambles on and on in the beginning and it was a little hard to follow. About 20 or 30 pages in I was more engaged and by the middle I didn't want to put the book down.

It is another WWII story, but told from a completely different point of view. It follows the life of two young women during the war and how they were fighting for their country, not as nurses or struggling to survive, but as actual pilots and secret agents who are on the front lines putting their lives in danger constantly.  The plot has many twists and turns that keep you engaged wondering what is next.

I also thought the author handled the atrocities that happened in that war with great respect. She talked about what was going on, but didn't not go into such detail that it made the book inappropiate for young adutls. Although, because of the touchy subject matter, I don't think I would want my young teenagers to read the book.

Overall, I thought it was a good read and would recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment